Unleashing My Superpowers (Paperback)
Have you ever wondered, "What does it take for women to succeed in a male-dominated workplace like mining?"
Multi-award-renowned global mining sustainability thought leader and IWF Fellow Dr. Patience Mpofu, reveals for the first time how to navigate a male-dominated workplace, break free from cultural biases, overcome imposter syndrome, and unleash your superpowers to break the glass ceiling.
Unleashing My Superpowers is a compelling and inspirational memoir filled with profound stories, wisdom, and lessons learned the hard way about succeeding in the tough, male-dominated mining industry for over 25 years. Her near-death experience on a family holiday in Africa inspired her to pay it forward by creating this valuable narrative for women.
Patience tells her unique story of how her upbringing in a Lemba (black Jew) tradition shaped her belief system, which led to her embarking on a STEM career. She rose above many challenges and traumatic experiences, from not feeling good enough as a child, to almost drowning while in primary school, to becoming a mother at the age of 21. She shares her personal journey, from facing subtle invisible barriers, to rising through the ranks and finally being known as the most influential woman in mining in Africa and selected for the acclaimed IWF Fellows Program.
This book provides insight into how women can manage the challenges of building a career in male-dominated workplaces. Inside, you will discover:
- How your upbringing can be reshaped by powerful paradigm shifts as a leader
- Step-by-step exercises to identify and overcome invisible barriers
- How to speak up for yourself and find fulfillment in your career
- Inspirational leadership stories from various mining locations across the globe
- How to rebound, overcome fears of imposter syndrome, develop resilience and identify your superpowers.
- Why we need more women leaders who can help you succeed in male-dominated workplaces
- The secret to getting promoted with the powerful Peak Performance Leadership Model for the 21st century
"You need to unleash something extra to be the change you want to see in the world. Its about having a sense of purpose, stepping out of your comfort zone, using your voice to inspire others, and being a catalyst for change. Women have superpowers and it's time to unleash them Wathinta umfazi, wathinta imbokodo is a Zulu saying that means, 'You strike a woman, you strike a rock.' Let us all shine our lights and help others shine theirs." - Dr Patience Mpofu
Unleashing My Superpowers is eloquent black female memoir, which is practical, backed with real-life examples and personal stories that inspire women to unlock the superpowers necessary to succeed in their career.